Did you know – about 10% of the carbon emissions in Australia are resulted due to energy deficient homes! The federal government steadily gauges requirements of energy efficiency for new homes to keep in mind its 2020 goal to reduce carbon. And this regulation was levied right after 2011. As per those bylaws, it is obligatory for all new properties to have at least 6-star house energy rating in Perth (and throughout Australia)! As a homeowner, you have to ensure that your new property has a minimum or equal energy rating.
The reason being, if this criterion is met, you will find your property valuation increasing by 3%. Just think of it, those extra thousands of AUDs which could be landing in your wallet. Surely it is something which has made most inhabitants in Australia conscious of how much their property energy rating stacks up. Probably because, even for old homes meeting up this 6-star energy rating in Perth (or elsewhere), it could give them a decent resale value as well.
Who regulates this 6-Star Energy Rating and on What Basis?
Considering the kind of type which circulates all around, you may come up with a question – which regulates this 6-star energy rating in Australia? The answer is NatHERS or the National House Energy Rating Scheme. Being a part of the federal government, it is the governing body for house energy ratings.
This regulatory body assesses your house energy efficiency standards from a scale of 0-10. The conditions upon which your house rating is evaluated includes –
- Your property location (concerning the climate zone) and its orientation (in respect to the North)
- The Building material namely the type of floor, wall, roof and more.
- Insulations which includes the floor, wall, ceiling and also the frame and brand of material put to use.
- The size, frame and location of your window and also the glass which you have used
- Ventilation, roof and wall colourisation
- Floor Covers, Lights, ceiling fan
And many more!
What Is The Best Way to Boost Your House Energy Ratings?
Perhaps the only appropriate way to improve your house with high energy ratings would be to appoint quality assessors in Perth. They will assess you right through the construction or reconstruction phases. These experts will have ample experience in carrying out energy compliance check-ups, and they will surely suggest you with useful tips to boost up your energy ratings.
Furthermore, if you request, they will also present you with energy efficient design blueprints. Some of their designs include –
- Properly insulated roofs which can reduce around 45% of cooling and heating effects along with ceiling and roof insulations having 5.1 R-value!
- For the walls, the insulation ought to be R-Value of 2.8. All this will help reduce your electricity bills.
- These designs include draught sealing which can help cut down on 25% of electricity bills. And with it, proper shading which blocks 90% of direct sunlight.
The only thing which you ought to do here is to ensure that you choose your energy assessor has the right qualifications and also has lots of prior experience. That will help you get the most out of them and ensure that your beautiful home is also energy compliant.